Tuesday, August 11, 2015

E3!!! Yay?

Well, another year, another E3. Luckily, this year I was actually home for the week of E3, so I didn't have to catch up on all the news a week later.

But, in the end, I don't think I could have picked a worse E3 to be at home for.

Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't hate Nintendo's presentation like a whole lot of people did. I didn't even dislike it. They showed some interesting stuff, and I thought it was decent. If I had to describe my feelings in one word, it would be disappointed. Nintendo's E3s in recent years have been amazing and spectacular, with last year's setting the bar incredibly high. But this year, we... really didn't get much. At all.

The biggest new announcement, for sure, was Star Fox Zero. I've never been a huge Star Fox fan, and I've only played 64 and one of the Gamecube ones at a friend's house (Assault, I believe), but I definitely plan to get this one when it comes out. The gameplay looks fun, and despite everyone's complaints about the graphics, I honestly don't see what the problem is. They're not realistic, sure, but when do Nintendo games ever have realistic graphics? The gameplay looks pretty similar to Star Fox 64 with some additional features, and overall it looks pretty fun.

But that was honestly the biggest announcement they had this year, and it was the very first thing they showed.

After a bit they showed Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (still not used to that spelling of "Triforce"), and at first, I thought it was some kind of spinoff. It looks fun, but really similar to Four Swords, and I can't say it's exactly what I was expecting. I like Four Swords quite a bit, but I can't say I prefer it to many other Zelda games. It looks good enough, though, and as usual, I'll be getting it on release day.

My one worry for this game is the online. That seems to be a huge aspect this time around, but I'm really worried about whether Nintendo understands that people love to troll when they're anonymous. I have no idea what they're going to do (if anything) to deal with trolls in this game. Normally, it's not too much of a problem in games, but in Zelda? They could just repeatedly jump into a pit and deplete your heart gauge, or just refuse to move and hinder your progress in the level. It should be interesting how that turns out.

And then, well, the only other announcement I somewhat care about was Metroid Prime: Federation Force. It doesn't look very good, but, it's Metroid, finally. Something is better than nothing... right? I hope so.

Oh, and then that Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi crossover looks pretty good. I've never played any Paper Mario games, and I've only played Dream Team as far as Mario & Luigi goes, but they're both series I plan to play in the near future, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Other than that, we got some information on Xenoblade Chronicles X, although none of it was new, and some more on Yoshi's Wooly World, which we also knew about. Both games look incredible, but as far as the presentation went, we didn't really learn anything new.

The Animal Crossing board game looks absolutely terrible, in my opinion, and I'm not too interested in the actual series, so I'll probably pass on Happy Home Designer. The new Fire Emblem looks pretty good, although I've still got to restart and (hopefully) finish Awakening.

All in all, it was okay. I'm still really upset that there was no Zelda U, though. HOW in the world does it make sense that we got more information a year ago at E3 than we did this year? It's like they went backwards in development. I know a lot of people were pretty upset about that, too.

Anyway, enough ranting for now. Again, I didn't hate E3, but I really think Nintendo made a huge mistake by choosing to show Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival and Tri Force Heroes over Zelda U and maybe a new actual Metroid Prime game. I really hope next year's E3 will be a bit more exciting.

That's all for now, though. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment