Friday, February 28, 2014

Zelda Wii U Hopes

Hi, everyone.

I really, really want to apologize for not posting in a month. It's a serious problem, I know, and I promise I'm going to do my best to fix it in the near future. This time I've just been really busy. I've had sooo much on my plate over the past several weeks, and I've really just had no time. Just to emphasize this, I started a replay of Spirit Tracks back at the very beginning of February, and haven't even gotten to the first dungeon. And that's pretty much the only game I've been playing.

Oh, not to mention, I'm also going on an interim trip this week to Peru. Fun.

But I promise I'll do better with posting more after Spring Break, which is two weeks from now for my school.

Anyway, the purpose of this article was to talk about my hopes/expectations for Zelda Wii U. So that's what I'm gonna do. And sorry if this article's kind of short, because I've got to leave for the airport tomorrow, and I've been busy with packing and homework, and I really should finish up the rest of my work and go to bed. But I really needed to do this, seeing as I'll be gone for the majority of the next week and a half.

So, we're guaranteed to get a Zelda U announcement at E3. Does this mean we can't get one before then? No. But I'd say it's pretty likely we'll be waiting until then.

But really, that's only about 3 months away, which isn't too bad! So, since so many people have seemed to be talking about it lately, now that all the ALBW hype is over, I've decided to share my thoughts on it.

Firstly, I really want a huge overworld. Huge, but not empty. Majora's Mask had plenty to do, but its world was pretty tiny. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, on the other hand, were quite the opposite. I want an overworld with lots of sidequests and characters, but one that is absolutely huge.

Another interesting detail they could add would be the ability to see future/past locations and such from distant vantage points. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of Super Mario Sunshine, where you could see just about every location no matter where you are, which really helps with immersion. If a large portion of the overworld was rendered at once, then we could do something awesome like seeing Hyrule Castle in the far distance while standing on top of a huge mountain.


As for (non)linearity, I don't really have much of an opinion on this. Sure, nonlinearity can be great, and it worked really well in A Link Between Worlds. It seems to be the most popular opinion on the internet right now that nonlinearity rules in Zelda games. But linearity in a game opens up so much potential for a great story in a game. You can have a balance, yes, but the story of Skyward Sword, for example, really wouldn't have worked without its linearity. And contrary to many people's opinions, I actually didn't mind the linearity in Skyward Sword. I feel like it had the amount of linearity that was right for it. Heck, it let you choose the order in which you visited the three dragons, didn't it? That's more nonlinearity than Twilight Princess had, and I don't see it getting any hate for it. Sure, there was that game-breaking glitch, but that only occurred if you talked to a specific Goron both before and after doing the Lanayru quest first.

I digress. My point here isn't to defend Skyward Sword. I'm just trying to say that, in my opinion, at least, linearity doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

Graphics. Hm. This is possibly one of the most controversial topics about gaming to be found on the internet. Honestly, I love the graphics of pretty much every Zelda game, and I think they all do great jobs of pushing their respective hardware. I'm a fan of Wind Waker's graphics, but I also think Twilight Princess's graphics worked well for that specific game. I honestly don't care what graphics they use, as long as they fit the tone of the game. Graphics don't make or break a game by any means, but they can certainly help bring out the game's story and themes. I just hope Nintendo does a good job choosing the right graphics for the game.

I also want lots of sidequests. Definitely not a Skyrim-sized amount of sidequests, because I often felt completely and utterly overwhelmed with all the stuff you can do in that game. It's pretty daunting if you're not used to it.



However, I still want a good amount of side content to be in the game, to give me something to do outside of the main quest. Especially post-game content. That's something a lot of Zelda games lack. Not a replayable mode like Hero Mode, but just more quests, areas, or even dungeons that can't be accessed until you actually complete the main portion of the game. I just think something like that would be really cool in a Zelda game.

Most of all, I just want this game to be LONG. Really, really, really long. I can't state this enough. It's a problem I have with some Zelda games. Especially new releases. I'm such a huge Zelda geek that I devote just about every single second of my free time to playing a Zelda game after it's released, until I beat it. Normally, I try to pace myself so I'm not done too fast, and I think I did a pretty good job with Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword (which is still a fairly long Zelda game in its own right). But for A Link Between Worlds I just had no self control. I literally took my 3DS into the movie theater that night to see Catching Fire (which was, by the way, really good), and I was playing it all throughout the previews. It was pretty awesome when an ad for A Link Between Worlds came on as I was playing the game. I was really tempted to turn around to everyone in the theater and shout "I HAVE THAT GAME!!!!" in my fanboyish hype. But my point is, I ended up beating the game Monday morning. I got it Friday at 4:30, after school. And I beat it less than 72 hours later. That's why I really, really hope that Zelda U is a long game. I want to be able to sit down and play it without self-restraint, and still have the game last several weeks.

As for DLC, I'm not going to go into that right now. I really don't have the time or energy to talk about that right now. I've almost fallen asleep two times while writing this, and I still have an English essay to rewrite.

Anyway, those are my main wishes for Zelda U. I really hope they'll give it a title at E3, because I hate calling it Zelda U. I'm not really sure why.

So, I'll see you all in a week or two! Thanks for reading, and feel free to leave your own Zelda U expectations in the comments. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment