Thursday, August 1, 2013

Majora's Mask Glitches!

Hi.  Now, some of you may be wondering how I'm posting this if I'm at camp.  Well, I came home early, because I acquired Streptococcal Pharyngitis.  That's strep throat.  I just taught you a new term that you probably didn't know.  And if you did, then no offense, but that's a little weird.  Unless you're a doctor or something.  Then it's, you know, pretty normal.

Anyway, I'm on antibiotics now, so hopefully I'll be better soon.  And I did have time to post last Saturday when I got back from my other camp, but there wasn't really anything to say, so I just left it at that.

Due to the title, you're probably assuming that I have been doing some glitching around in Majora's Mask.  Well, that assumption would be correct.

I recently went back to my first file and finally completed the Anju and Kafei quest to get the last masks (Before I would ALWAYS mess it up in the stupidest ways, and then I'd have to start over), and then I went on to get the Fierce Deity Mask and beat the game again.

Now, you're probably thinking that it's kind of sad that I just now finally completed this, but I can explain.

So, if you've done the quest, you know that there are many events that happen at certain times, and you MUST be there for these events, or else you mess it up and have to start over.  The thing I missed the most often was probably the time when Kafei comes out of his hideout to get the letter, and you have to creep in within that short 30 second time period.  Luckily, this is pretty early on in the quest, so it's not that bad if you have to start over.

Other times I'd make it all the way to Sakon the thief's lair, and at 6:00 PM, when he's running up to open the door, RIGHT before he reaches it, he'll see me and say "I'm not doing anything suspicious!  Really!" (or something like that), and then run away.  This is SO annoying, and it's really near the end of the quest, so you have to start over.

And by far the most annoying, obnoxious, and downright stupid mistake is the one I'd make the most often:

Sakon would open the door to his hideout, and Kafei would run inside.  After it finishes playing this short cutscene, there is a short moment where the camera goes all weird before going back to Link, but in that time, you still have control of Link.  The rock that you hide behind with Kafei to wait for Sakon is near to the dropoff with the river below, so in that period where the camera isn't quite at Link, I'd accidentally jump off the dropoff and into the water below.  The only way back up to the cliff is to exit the area by swimming far upriver, climbing out of the water, running back, and re-entering the area. Unfortunately for me, exiting the area causes the rock door to shut again, thus rendering the quest unable to be completed and making me start ALL.  OVER.  AGAIN.

But I finally did it, and I was really happy when I did.  :D

So, after that long story that hopefully didn't put you to sleep, here's a few videos of some of the glitches I attempted in Majora's Mask.  I was too lazy to actually record from my TV, so I just recorded the TV screen with my MacBook sitting on a chair.  :P  So I apologize for the bad lighting/angle, and for the stupid camera reversing the image.  I've never understood why Apple makes their computers' cameras do that.  It's like looking into a mirror.  So everything you see on the screen will be backwards, and Link will be right handed, and the meter on the bottom that measures time will appear to go backwards.

So... the first glitch I did involves Link becoming Zora Link in the Southern Swamp but not being able to move, and then getting constantly eaten, spit out, and re-eaten by a Big Octorok until he dies.  I also apologize in advance for any background noise in this first video.  There's not as much in the other two.



Yeah.... I don't know why that happens.  Heck, I don't even know what is happening half of the time in this.  Most of the video was just me experimenting.  I got the idea by reading about a glitch that lets you leave that area of the Swamp without the other area loading, and re-entering it on the other side for everything to be duplicated.  I tried that, but I realized that the water was still poisoned, so I decided to turn back, and... that happened.  XD  (I then cleared the water, but I still couldn't get it to work.)
Next, I decided to try the glitch that lets you use the Fierce Deity Mask outside of boss battles.  (Zelda Dungeon, please forgive me for using a link to Zelda Wiki.)  After succeeding, I just fooled around in Clock Town and tried some other things that I'd read about.  Oh, and the Clock Town guards won't let you out, so I experimented with other ways to get out.




And lastly, I did some more in Clock Town.  This time, it's a glitch that lets Link fall through the ground of Clock Town, and fall endlessly until he touches the bottom of the map.  Sadly, due to the reduced video quality because of uploading this video straight to Blogger and not through Youtube, you can't see it, but in the original, at 0:56-0:57 you could see Link way down below the ground, falling.


And then we have this picture I took of Link, floating in midair, with the Giant's Mask on.  (Another glitch).



It's really weird.  Since he can't become giant outside of that one boss battle, the blue "transformation light" just stays there around his head.  And his face looks like he's screaming (you can see it under the mask at the right angle).  Weird.

And that's all I did with Majora's Mask.  I can't seem to do the Fourth Day glitch.  What you've got to do is look into the telescope when the moon's about to crash, and exit the telescope within the last 5 seconds of in-game time (that's about a fifth of a real second, with the in-game time slowed down).  I gave up after several tries.  Maybe I'll come back and do it again sometime, though.

Other than that, my copy of A Link to the Past and Four Swords arrived, and so did my GBA link cable, so I'm really looking forward to playing that with my friend.  What was I calling him again?  The one I mention most often... oh, yeah!  Luke.  With Luke.  Once I'm feeling better.

I'm also going over to Luke's house with Jackson to play Four Swords Adventures next week.

And now I've got to get back to summer reading...  I really wish they assigned good books for summer reading.  I enjoy reading, but not when they're some ancient "classic literature" books that are really boring.

Anyway, see you later!

1 comment:

  1. Ah that's too bad, I hope you get well soon. =)(And I learned a new word today, thanks)
    xD Link being eaten by the Big Octorok is hilarious. Too bad the fourth day glitch didn't work, at least you pulled of the rest. I don't really use glitches, I don't know why, I can't get them to work xD I did read about a glitch in MM that makes you glide through walls, with a cucco. That sounds funny.
    You seem to be up to a lot of zelda gaming next week.
    I'll be on vacation abroad with my family and I'm looking forward to it. ^^
    I'll be taking some handheld games with me (Minish cap for sure, I feel like playing it again ^^) On top of that, my little brother just got his copy of Animal Crossing New Leaf, and we have to share it as always. The town name is the usual, but we're still arguing about who gets to be the mayor. (I'm more suitable, if I say so myself ;))
    Anyway, I hope you have a nice week and that you feel better soon =)

    ReplyDelete